- MODULE OBJECTIVES:
- To explain corporate governance, describe the objectives and core attributes of an effective corporate governance system, and evaluate whether a company’s corporate governance has those attributes
- To establish the nature and analyze the components of current corporate governance framework and structures in Rwanda
- To determine the responsibilities and explain qualifications and core competencies of the member of the board of directors
- To understand the duties a director owes to the company itself, the shareholders and to all other stakeholders under Rwandan law and the liabilities that may arise when these duties are violated
- To explain effective corporate governance practice and the ways to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of a company’s corporate governance practice
- To analyze the challenges to corporate governance framework and their implications to effective corporate governance in Rwanda
- How to identify, manage and control the corporate governance risks within an organization.
- To appreciate the importance of corporate governance in contributing to the value of an organization
2. MODULE BRIEF DESCRIPTION
This module provides an overview of corporate governance. Participants shall have the opportunity to familiarize themselves with the national corporate governance infrastructures, the legal framework and practices. The module is also envisaging influencing individuals wanting to understand contemporary issues and trends in corporate governance, and aims at exposing the participants with capabilities to potential global career opportunities and providing to them a framework for identifying what matters in corporate governance.
3. MODULE CONTENT
Forms of Business and Conflicts of Interest
Boards of Directors
Legal and institutional framework of Corporate governance in Rwanda
Corporate governance in the public sector
Environment, Social Responsibility and governance (ESG)
Valuation implications of corporate governance
Emerging issues in corporate governance
4. TARGET AUDIENCE
This course will provide an introductory training to potential board members of companies, civil society organizations as well as those from public sector institutions. The Course also targets those Board members who may wish to enhance their awareness on corporate governance through a continuous corporate governance training in order for them to be updated especially on new developments in corporate governance as well as other economic and social developments that are relevant for the maintenance of good corporate governance practices.
From the above therefore, the course is designed to benefit board members, Company Secretaries; Internal Control officers, Company Lawyers and those specializing in Corporate Law; General Counsel/Heads of Legal Departments; Directors & Managers; Private Law Practitioners; Heads of Compliance; Auditors & Executive Officers; Employees; etc
5. DELIVERY TIME AND VENUE:
The course was delivered at RMI Murambi campus. Visit www.rmi.rw for the detailed Training Calendar. The venue and time may be adjusted according to the trainees' request, terms and conditions apply.