- Module Objectives:
Developing Professional communication and writing skills can help all aspects of one’s life, from his/her professional life to social gatherings and everything in between. The ability to communicate information accurately, clearly and as intended, is a vital life skill and something that should not be neglected. It is in this perspective that the module entitled “Professional Communication & Writing Skills” was designed. The main objective of this Module is to introduce RMI clients to the fundamentals of successful Professional Communication and Writing Skills: listening, speaking; reading and effective writing skills at workplace.
Upon successful completion of this Module, Participants should be able to:
- understand techniques and writing practices leading to increased professional communication and writing skills;
- Develop professional writing skills and write professionally following writing principles and guidelines and standard templates and customizing these to their work context;
- Understand how Business Reports, Business Letters, minutes, interviews, Memos, E-mail messages, Papers,… other business documents are structured in professional manner;
- Improve their ability to package and deliver a technical presentation to an audience on the topic of a technical report;
- Be confident to prepare and deliver a professional written presentation within a business context. These are like a concept note, brief note/briefing note, policy brief, and a cabinet brief note.
- Review errors and assess accuracy through rigorously applying a checklist to their texts;
- Understand the value of professional written communication in building good client relationships in the workplace.
2. Module Brief Description
This Module introduces the trainees to techniques and practical skills leading to increased professional communication and writing skills in a clear and concise style. Through lecture, examples, group discussion and practice exercises trough plenary presentations, participants will gain confidence in their ability to plan and to produce various forms of professional writing. Strategies to revise and to proofread work will also be presented.
3. Module Content
Introduction to Professional Communication
Professional Writing Skills
Minutes, policy brief, concept note and briefing note writing
Professional Presentation and Reviewing the writing
Memorandum, notice; agenda and e-mail writing
Business letter writing
Practical writing exercises
4. Target Audience
The audience for this module includes employees/staff wishing to develop their professional communication and writing skills and build rapport with others in the workplace. Anyone who writes or edits the speech or executive correspondence, policy brief, briefing notes is targeted by this module. These include Heads of Units, Professionals, Specialists, Public relation officers, Administrative Assistants, receptionists and other employees from public sector, in Rwanda.
5. Delivery Time and Venue:
Visit www.rmi.rw for the detailed Training Calendar. The venue and time may be adjusted according to the trainees' request, terms and conditions apply.