1. COURSE OBJECTIVES:
- To explain corporate governance, describe the objectives and core attributes of an effective corporate governance system, and evaluate whether a company’s corporate governance has those attributes
- To establish the nature and analyze the components of current corporate governance framework and structures in Rwanda
- To determine the responsibilities and explain qualifications and core competencies of the member of the board of directors
- To understand the duties a director owes to the company itself, the shareholders and to all other stakeholders under Rwandan law and the liabilities that may arise when these duties are violated
- To explain effective corporate governance practice and the ways to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of a company’s corporate governance practice
- To analyze the challenges to corporate governance framework and their implications to effective corporate governance in Rwanda
- How to identify, manage and control the corporate governance risks within an organization.
- To appreciate the importance of corporate governance in contributing to the value of an organization
2. MODULE BRIEF DESCRIPTION
The 2011 National Leadership retreat discussed about doing business challenges among the numerous concerns that were deterring Rwanda’s development goals and the forum recommended that this should be addressed by developing and implementing good corporate governance practices.Corporate governance as popularly known is the way how companies are governed and controlled. Corporate failures do not only stop at an individual corporation but its impacts extend far to the extent that where such failures become rampant, it becomes an economic failure of a given economy.
This module provides an overview of corporate governance. Participants shall have the opportunity to familiarize themselves with the national corporate governance infrastructures, the legal framework and practices. The module is also envisaging influencing individuals wanting to understand contemporary issues and trends in corporate governance, and aims at exposing the participants with capabilities to potential global career opportunities and providing to them a framework for identifying what matters in corporate governance.The training shall take the form of formal lecture sessions with case studies, brainstorming and group exercises to reinforce the deep understanding of the concepts. This will be provided on a participative and stimulating approach to ensure active learning method of adult education which incorporates direct participation and creates an atmosphere for sharing experiences.
3. MODULE CONTENT
Forms of Business and Conflicts of Interest
Boards of Directors
Legal and institutional framework of Corporate governance in Rwanda
Corporate governance in the public sector
Environment, Social Responsibility and governance (ESG)
Valuation implications of corporate governance
Emerging issues in corporate governance
4. TARGET AUDIENCE
One of RMI’s strategic interventions is to provide comfort in terms of deliverables to all employees at their work places. Corporate Governance applies to all types of organizations not just to private companies under private sector but also in the not for profit and public sectors. This course will provide an introductory training to potential board members of companies, civil society organizations as well as those from public sector institutions. The Course also targets those Board members who may wish to enhance their awareness on corporate governance through a continuous corporate governance training in order for them to be updated especially on new developments in corporate governance as well as other economic and social developments that are relevant for the maintenance of good corporate governance practices.
From the above therefore, the course is designed to benefit all that have to do with corporate governance responsibilities including (but not limited to) Board members, Company Secretaries; Internal Control officers, Company Lawyers and those specializing in Corporate Law; General Counsel/Heads of Legal Departments; Directors & Managers; Private Law Practitioners; Heads of Compliance; Auditors & Executive Officers; Employees; etc
5. DELIVERY TIME AND VENUE:
Visit www.rmi.rw for the detailed Training Calendar. The venue and time may be adjusted according to the trainees' request, terms and conditions apply.